In November 2013, Desert Star Construction and Team DSC® had the honor of hosting the National Custom Builders Council (NCBC) in Scottsdale, AZ for our annual conference. NCBC is my professional Peer Group and an organization that encourages Best Practices in all areas of Business and Operations as it pertains to custom luxury home building. Bob Vanourek, author of the book Triple Crown Leadership and winner of the 2013 International Book Awards (business: general), was one of our speakers.
Triple Crown Leadership is about Meadow Farms and the famous racing horse Secretariat. Their story is about more than just astonishing athleticism and the will to win. It is about heart, teamwork, character, stewardship, adversity, and inspired leadership.
Secretariat is gunning for the Triple Crown, needing three big wins in a row: The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and The Belmont Stakes. In the horseracing world, the Belmont is called “the test of the champion”. Belmont has the longest dirt track in thoroughbred racing at 1½ miles. Race day brought stifling 90° heat and humidity, but the crowd was completely focused on the starting gate. It was truly exciting to read and made my heart race as I devoured the passages. (I truly hope that someday you have the opportunity to watch the movie or read the book.)
The focus and foundation of this engaging book is about building an excellent, ethical, and enduring organization. The Meadow Farm racing team accomplishes three significant objectives:
- They achieved extraordinary results.
- They achieve them with honor.
- Their results stood the test of time. Their record was excellent, ethical, and enduring.
Bob Vanourek believes the greatest need of today’s global society is for better leadership – from all of us. We live in a world that is over managed and under lead. The book provides many examples of how the Triple Crown Firm creates exceptional value for all stakeholders (not just the shareholders) to uphold sustainable practices. One definition of leadership discussed is how to get results today in a way that, by inspiring trust, increases our ability to achieve results tomorrow.
Do you want to be an example excellent ethical and enduring organization? Does your organization have a clear mission vision and values statement? Have you or your organization ever pursued an elusive or challenging objective? If so, the following are excellent concepts from Triple Crown Leadership that you might wish to consider discussing with your leadership team.
The Three E’s
To what extent is your organization EXCELLENT?
Are they achieving exceptional results that have significant, positive impact on all stakeholders?
To what extent is your organization ETHICAL?
Are they doing the right thing, even when it’s costly or hard? Are they paying attention to how the results are being achieved?
To what extent is your organization ENDURING?
Are decisions and actions standing the test of time? Are they operating sustainably?
The Five Practices
- To what extent are you recruiting for, developing, and rewarding head and heart? Not just in terms of skills and expertise, but also character, emotional intelligence, and cultural fit?
- To what extent are you collaboratively setting the colors (an inspiring purpose, values, and vision, and then bringing them to life in the organization)?
- To what extent are you getting beyond your natural leadership style and flexing between steel and velvet (the hard and soft edges of leadership)?
- To what extent are you modeling stewardship (empowering people to be stewards of the culture of character and high performance)?
- To what extent are you collaboratively aligning the organization for peak performance, including short-, medium-, and long-term dimensions?
My hope is that your leadership team embraces these important questions and weaves the answers into the fabric of your organization. The principles you discover are there to support your team as you rise to the next level of success. We challenge you to begin embracing the practices of Triple Crown Leadership today. Then share with us the story of how you applied them to your operation by contacting us HERE or posting to our social media pages.
We look forward to hearing from you!